Towards the end of the eighteenth century Johann Nepomuk Munding left Überlingen

on Lake Constance and, travelling via the Engadine, arrived in Innsbruck. En route he earned his living as a wandering journeyman in Lebzeltereien in Graubünden and in "Gutelmacherbetrieben" in Oberinntal.

On reaching Innsbruck he began working for Herr Kircher, the town cook, here in the former GUMPPHAUS  in Kiebachgasse. A short while later he rented the business, then, buying the entire property, opened the 'Damencafé Konditorei Munding' in the spring of 1803.